Table of Contents
June 17, 2019
A career as a Pakistan Army officer is considered one of the best careers in Pakistan. However, is it the best career for you? Read our insights to find out.
Pakistan Army is the land-based force of the Pakistan Armed Forces. The main goal of army is to ensure the national security and national unity of Pakistan by defending it against international aggression or war. Ranked consistently among the top 10 armies in the world, it is definitely a major component of the national power of Pakistan. If you are a true patriot and are always eager to lay your life for your homeland, then a career in Pakistan Army is most suitable for you.
An army officer is responsible for defending its homeland and for supporting international peacekeeping and humanitarian work. A career in armed forces can be highly rewarding. There are different sectors in Pakistan army namely armoured corp, infantry, intelligence and engineering corp among others. The skills, experiences and achievements are unique to each sector.
Following are the job description for an army officer.
- Operating and maintaining military equipment
- Protecting people and properties under threat
- Helping in disaster relief and emergency management efforts
- Display qualities of patience, courage, patriotism and physical fitness
- Lead a disciplined life (both physically and mentally)
- Show punctuality in every aspect of life
- Complete training of self-defence and protecting others
- Be willing to travel
Aspiring candidates can apply directly to join the armed forces after passing intermediate level (FA/FSC or A-Levels) by registering themselves at the local recruitment centres. After registration process candidates will need to go through initial tests which comprise of online tests, medical tests, physical tests and an interview. If a candidate aces the following tests, he then receives a call for the ISSB (Inter Services Selection Board). A candidate can only give the ISSB for a maximum of two times.
ISSB is considered the determining criteria if an applicant will be able to secure a position in the armed forces or not. The test is undertaken at specified locations across the country and has the following main parts:
- Psychological tests
Sentence completion, words association, story completion, picture story and interview.
- Group tests
Group discussion, extempore speech, group planning, progressive group task, half group task, command task, individual obstacles and final group task.
Selections of candidates are based on these all required tests and it is important to pass all the tests and clear the interview to go into army.
- Minimum qualification: Intermediate or above qualified candidates with at least 50% marks
- Age: 17-23 Years (1 Year relaxation for graduates, children of martyred and 2 year’s relaxation for driving license holder)
- Nationality: Citizens of Pakistan and domicile holders of Azad Kashmir/ Gilgit-Baltistan
- Marital status: Un-married
- Minimum height: 5’6’’ (167.5 cm)
- Minimum weight: As per Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Patriotism – a soldier should be ready to sacrifice his life for his homeland without wasting a second.
- Team player – army will provide different team-building activities for that you can ace only if you are able to interact with everyone and keep a positive environment.
- Communication skills – a soldier should be able to communicate clearly and concisely
- Sense of responsibility – a soldier should be responsible
- Adaptability – a soldier should be able to adapt to different environments within his country
Salary and Job Perks
The starting salary of an officer in the Pakistan Army, as of the time of writing this article, is PKR 35,000. The salary is gradually increased according to the rank and the courses the officer will complete during his tenure.
Following are some of the perks that an army officer enjoys during his career:
- Free housing in the military cantonments in Pakistan
- Free medical insurance at Combined Military Hospitals all across Pakistan
- Discounts at Army Public Schools and Colleges System
- Officers mess
- Physical fitness
Pakistan Army is one of the most respectable and powerful institutions in the country. A career as an officer in the armed forces is definitely a career to fight for. However, aspiring candidates must keep in mind that although the job has its perks, it is still a tough career and only the people with right mindset should consider pursuing this career. If your main aim in life is to make a lot of money and enjoy your freedom, then a career in armed forces should not be your first priority.
- Growth Opportunities
With 4/5 stars, this is definitely a career to fight for!
Engineering – Is It the Right Career for You?
Want to pursue a career as an engineer? Read our insights about a career in engineering and if its the right path for you to make a living.
How To Ace Your Entry Test for Universities Admission
Want to secure admission in your dream university? Take a look at our tips on how to score high marks in your entry test of universities.
Here’s How To Score 90% or Above in FBISE Exam
Take a look at our tips and tricks to score 90% or above in your upcoming FBISE board exams. Also, download our mobile app to top your FBISE exam.
Very nice article!